Lantern Project Shines Light on Recycling

Eva Cooper, Staff

Nowadays, global warming and pollution are prominent issues in society. Lake Highland’s Chinese business students recognized this and wanted to make a difference in their community. Therefore, they developed a project that raises awareness for the environment. They spent time creating lanterns out of recycled materials, such as cardboards and plastics, while simultaneously celebrating the Chinese New Year. According to Ms. Qiuyan Wang, Lake Highland’s Chinese teacher, “Lanterns are traditionally used during the Chinese New Year to symbolize hope and a bright future.”

The goal of this project, says Ms.Wang, “Aims to spread the message of environmental consciousness and the importance of recycling while also educating students and the community about Chinese culture.” In Florida, a multitude of lakes and rivers, about 900.000 acres, are unable to be utilized for recreation due to the fact that they are polluted. Many people in today’s society are unaware of the severity of pollution around them, which was a driving factor in developing this project. According to Ms. Wang, it inspired her students, “To think more critically about the environmental impact of their actions and encourage them to take steps to protect the environment.”

The group wanted to get more people to consider the impact they have on their surroundings. It only takes one person to begin to make a difference. Alexandra Leary, grade 11, believes that, “Small actions can significantly impact protecting our planet.” By creating something visible and tangible, according to Ms. Wang, the business students believe that it will, “Have a positive impact on the community by promoting recycling and reducing waste.”

Not only did the students hope to bring people’s attention to environmental issues, but they also wanted to spread Chinese culture and cheer for the new year. During this time of the year, beginning on the twenty-third day of the twelfth month of the Chinese calendar, people often hang lanterns outside of their homes and in public spaces as a way to symbolize a fresh start and to rid themselves of negative things that they had been troubled by in the previous year. William Beamer, one of Lake Highland’s Chinese business students, grade 11, also mentions how the lanterns, “Are also seen as a symbol of Chinese national pride.” However, the business students’ lanterns additionally represent, “The power of small actions in preserving our planet for future generations,” says Beamer. The students conducted thorough research regarding the environment and pollution in Florida before getting to the actual hands-on work aspect of it all. In doing so, according to Beamer, “They discovered that Florida needs to catch up to its recycling goal set by The Energy, Climate Change, and Economic Security Act of 2008 of 75% by 2020.” Two years prior in 2018, the state’s recycling rate was a staggering 49%, 21% below the set goal of 70% at the time. However, after becoming educated on the topic and gaining a new desire to bring about change, the students got to work, using this project as, “An excellent opportunity to use project-based learning to address the issue,” and, “[Aligning] their project with the Florida Environmental Protection Plan, which aims to utilize renewable resources to protect the environment,” states Ms. Wang. All in all, the students were extremely excited to find a fun way to apply their learning about the environment and their business skills to aiding the community around them.

(Above) Students William Beamer, Payton Tapp, Alexandra Leary, Grayson Lee, Iraj Kalia, all grade 11, craft shiny lanterns out of recycled materials to, “Not only add to the celebratory atmosphere of the Chinese New Year, but also serve as a practical reminder of the
importance of environmental conservation,” says Beamer. They started by using cut up water bottles as the base, then wrapped cardboard around them to create the spherical shape of the traditional Chinese lanterns. Photo courtesy of William Beamer. (Photo courtesy of William Beamer.)
(Above) These lanterns are displayed outside of the Chinese classrooms in Lake Highland’s Cultural Center for all to see. Because the students chose to align their project with the Florida Environmental Protection Plan, they are able to inspire others around them, rather than simply just impacting their school. Their small reminder of environmental safety and conservation can go a long way in the community. Photo by Eva Cooper. (Photo by Eva Cooper.)
(Above) Alexandra Leary, grade 11, “[Hopes] that by creating these lanterns out of recycled materials, [she] can inspire others to think more about their impact on the environment and to recycle more.” The students also add fun decorations, like jewels, to their lanterns to
brighten the days of those who pass by. Photo courtesy of
William Beamer. (Photo courtesy of William Beamer.)