Twice-Told Tale

The Student News Site of Lake Highland Preparatory School

Twice-Told Tale

Twice-Told Tale

The King of Rock ‘n’ Roll Takes the Silver Screen

(Above) Austin Butler appeared in costumes reminiscent of what Elvis Presley wore while singing, dancing, and performing. TheMusicMan.uk reports, “It is clear from the comparison videos that Austin Butler made a dynamic and convincing Elvis Presley.” Photos courtesy of The Music Man and Kruse GWS Auctions.

There have been several stories of fans’ initial interactions with Elvis Presley. Several people considered him to be the greatest singer and performer of all time. Throughout the 1950s and 1960s, his songs such as “Hound Dog,” “Jailhouse Rock,” and “Can’t Stop Falling in Love” were all popular. All of his performances were unforgettable, and many people travel to Graceland each year to view Elvis Presley’s relics. Even today, Elvis Presley is such a well-known entertainer that he frequently appears in films. Other films are based on Elvis Presley’s life, but the biographical film Elvis had a tremendous impact on his legacy and life narrative. Even though he is no longer with us, his legacy will live on in the world and in his fans’ hearts forever.

Austin Butler, Tom Hanks, Olivia DeJonge, Dacre Montgomery, and Luke Bracey star in the 2022 movie Elvis. This movie, which is about Elvis Presley’s life before he became a well-known singer and performer, was written and directed by Baz Luhrmann. Baz Luhrmann reportedly stated after the film’s debut, “But somehow on Elvis, on almost every step in this journey there’s been something unusual, some unique memory. Maybe there will be a film that’s been as extraordinary a journey as this film, but I doubt it,” according to apnews.com The movie provides the audience with a wealth of information, including the truth that Elvis Presley had a twin who passed away during childbirth, that he enlisted in the military, and that he had contentious interactions with his manager, Colonel Tom Parker. 

Together with his journey to stardom and music, this film also included the struggles he went through in his life. According to www.wbur.org, “The central conflict of Elvis is repeated more than once—an ongoing struggle for the singer to be true to himself in spite of his manager and the merchandising money men who would rather make a mint.” This entire movie enabled the audience to relate to Elvis even more, which is why the film became so famous. The major reason was that Austin Butler resembled Elvis Presley in both mannerisms and voice.

People started finding videos of Austin Butler’s interviews from a few years ago and comparing them to more recent ones on social media. He was then informed by everyone that he sounded just like Elvis Presley, which surprised many people and led others to believe he was faking it. According to wmagazine.com, Austin Butler has come out and claimed that, “​​I am getting rid of the accent, but I have probably damaged my vocal cords with all that singing.” Actually, the audience is unaware of what transpired during the film’s production and what Austin Butler did to channel his inner Elvis Presley. As reported on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, Austin Butler said, “He didn’t do choreography in the way that Michael did or something like that. He [Elvis] was — It was all the music moving him. And, obviously, there are signature things that he did that, you know, you have to be specific about. But it was all about the way that the music moved him.” A few actors claimed that Austin Butler gave his all to not just become Elvis Presley but to keep his memory alive.

The entertainment industry of today has been greatly influenced by this movie, and as a result, more people are aware of his life and his legacy. Although Lisa-Marie Presley’s passing saddened the world, her and Priscila Presley’s commitment to this film are what is preserving their family’s heritage and memories. Currently, people pay their respects to Elvis while also learning more about him by listening to and learning his songs, and viewing Elvis Presley films that were released back then. According to graceland.com, “Graceland welcomes over 500,000 visitors each year, [and] is one of the five most visited home tours in the United States.” Graceland receives a lot of visitors on Elvis Presley’s birthday and more recently right before Lisa Marie Presley’s sudden passing. According to graceland.com, “Fans from around the globe bring flowers, teddy bears, and other mementos to leave at his grave. It’s a special chance for fans to say thank you to the man who changed their lives forever with his music.” This film is a must-see for everyone interested in learning more about Elvis Presley’s life and career as the King of Rock ‘n’ Roll.

(Above) The Elvis movie made over 280 million dollars at the box office. On movieweb.com, it stated, “The Baz Luhrmann film has been a big success, drawing big profits at the box office and garnering critical acclaim.” Graphics courtesy of Sun Records and Teahub.