Twice-Told Tale

The Student News Site of Lake Highland Preparatory School

Twice-Told Tale

Twice-Told Tale

Discovering Hidden Gems in New Smyrna

Eva Cooper
(Above) JB’s Fish Camp is named after Captain John A. Bollman III, who sadly passed away from cancer in 2015. It is popular among many visitors as it is located on the canal, showcasing various forms of wildlife. Manatees, dolphins, and turtles frequent the areas surrounding JB’s dock. Along with the great views, JB’s is the perfect place to get a refreshing drink and a delicious meal after a long beach day.

As any school break approaches each year, people often find themselves wanting to go to the beach for warm weather and the cool ocean. Most go to New Smyrna Beach for the famous white sand and blue water, but there is so much more to the city than just the beach. New Smyrna itself is the second oldest city in Florida, making it rich with history that goes unnoticed by visitors at the fun shops and delicious restaurants everywhere. One of the most popular places in New Smyrna is Flagler Avenue. Flager has numerous outlets for having fun with friends and family. From tasty food and fancy boutiques to cool surf shops and cute cafés, Flagler has it all. On top of all the fun places to hang out, New Smyrna also showcases places with historical significance, as well as places with famous cultural art. There are tons of historical sites to visit, as well as multiple art museums throughout the whole city. There is so much more to Flagler than what meets the eye at first glance.

(Above) The Go Juice cart is stationed in the middle of Flagler Avenue, where it attracts many hungry customers. They serve refreshing smoothies, coffee, and acai bowls. Behind the truck there is a seating area, including benches, chairs, and hammocks, where customers relax while they wait for their orders to be prepared. (Eva Cooper)
(Above) There are some odd symbols of New Symerna, and this telephone booth is one of them. It is a popular place that adds to the culture of New Smyrna. People like to add their own stickers and take pictures there. This is also located next to Flagler Tavern. (Taylor Hannigan)
(Above) The Pelican Condominium is one of the many great places to stay at the beach. With it only being a five-minute drive to Flager or a 15 minute walk via the beach, it has great access to all of the fun things New Smyrna has to offer. It also has two great pools, a shuffleboard court, and a grill with tables for cooking out with friends and family. The Pelican is a great and convenient place to stay. (Taylor Hannigan)
(Above) Disappearing Island is an island located in the canal in New Smyrna Beach. Many visitors rent pontoon boats for the day and travel through the river canal to reach the island. During high tide, this island is almost fully submerged in the canal, leaving just a few mangrove trees to be seen. However, at low tide, people are drawn by its bright white sands and nearby sandbars. It is one of NSB’s classic attractions for visitors. (Eva Cooper)