Twice-Told Tale

The Student News Site of Lake Highland Preparatory School

Twice-Told Tale

Twice-Told Tale

The Push into Porter

Tina Zhang
(Above) April 10, 2023: During the first month of Daylight Savings Time, the construction progress advanced to another stage. One-third of the walls were covered with protective shields, waiting for glass window installation. People on campus were surprised by how fast the construction progressed in less than a year and were excited to visit the new building. Faculty in Johnston and Hale Halls started to plan their move and packed the classrooms for next year, little did they know they would have to move in just one day before the beginning of school.

At the end of the final couple of weeks during the school yearin 2022, Lake Highland Preparatory School had begun construction of the new Porter Family Center for Innovation and Academics. The construction took place from May 2022 to ongoing construction. The day before school had started on August 9th, the building had received a temporary Certificate of Occupancy for the teachers to move in, finishing in August of 2023. The new building hasfour floors with each floor being associated with different academic sections.This allows for grouping all of the same type of classes on their specific floors without causing classes to be put in random areas for no apparent reason. The new building is absolutely spectacular and the students absolutely love the ability of new seating areas. They also love the introduction to the new Scottish Cafe, which is like the Source but with more options.

(Above) Coming into the new year at Lake Highland Preparatory School is a new addition to The Porter Center is the new Scottish Cafe. The Scottish Cafe acts as a new source here at LHP with cool food options and the ability to order from an Ismart device. The Scottish Cafe holds the options of having more flavors when it comes to drinks, food options, and dessert options. The smoothies they serve are also very delicious. This addition is pretty cool! (Zane Rimes)
(Above) Mr. Russell Hinton’s 3D and Animation class works on their first assignment of the week in a quiet, focused atmosphere. Each student sits in a uniquely patterned gamer chair with highly adjustable parts and magnetic memory foam headrests. “The whole purpose is to compliment the classes that happen there…,” says Mr. Glynn Dettman, the Engineering and Robotics teacher.
Mr. Dettman also oversees the development of the Maker Space and Innovation Lab, an area where students will soon be able to design and create in their free time. (Serena Young)
(Above) Located in the newest addition to Lake Highland School’s facilities, The Porter Center, is the Makers Space. This collaborative space has been supplied with the best equipment for the Lake Highland students. With access to everything they could need the students have every opportunity to innovate and explore new projects. Peering into one of the many classes held in the Makers Space, students are settling in and exploring the building, on their first day back from a long summer. (Emily Cypher)