Twice-Told Tale

The Student News Site of Lake Highland Preparatory School

Twice-Told Tale

Twice-Told Tale

Starting a New Semester

Emma Jaramillo
(Above) The start of this semester has allowed students to come back inspired with ideas for new artwork. These pieces will be displayed around campus during the spring arts festival. Cleo Richardson, grade 11, is in Mrs. Kathleen Forster’s Advanced Drawing and Composition 1 Honors class, one of the many art classes offered at Lake Highland.

From new construction opening up to students such as the Porter Family Center for Innovation and Academics to the implementation of a homeroom, students have seen the campus go through major transformations to set them up for success. Simultaneously, as the Class of 2027 has fully immersed themselves in their high school experience, and the Class of 2024 prepares to start the next chapter of their life, freshman and seniors alike have come back from refreshing break, ready to see what is in store for them this semester. Whether that is trying out new classes, exploring a new area on campus, or looking forward to changes in Lake Highland’s policies and procedures, students are ready to make this semester the best one yet. With that said, here’s how Lake Highland is welcoming back students and celebrating the beginning of the end of this academic year. 

(Above) In many year-long classes, the foundation of many concepts and skills were built during the first semester of the academic year. Now, students have the opportunity to apply these ideas at a higher level and in real world scenarios. Jack Lovejoy and Zaky Syed, both grade 11, both attest to this. Lovejoy stated, “The work within Mr. George Clemens’ class is extremely interesting. I get to learn more about the history of the world every day, and it’s always refreshing.” (Zane Rimes)
(Above) Contrastingly, students also have the opportunity to take new semester-long classes. Set on making 2024 a relaxing and introspective year, students of Ms. Angie Wohltman’s Yoga and Mindfulness class begin their meditation session. Walker Black, grade 9, notes that this year he hopes to start his SoundCloud career. Additionally, he referenced his favorite quote, “Money is the key to happiness” as his 2024 mantra. (Delaney Bolstein)
(Above) Outside of academics, LHP takes pride in its athletic programs. At Lake Highland, there is a team ready for new athletes at every age and level. This semester, basketball and soccer are currently in season, with tennis, lacrosse, baseball, and softball starting in the spring. Not only have many new athletes joined these programs, but some have new coaches too. (Emily Cypher)
(Above) Ms. Kelly Johnson, Upper School’s Administrative Assistant to the Dean, has been working at LHP for 26 years. This semester, she is looking forward to seeing Phase Two of the Capital Plan, which includes a new athletic complex, as well as continuing to see the Porter Family Center for Innovation and Academics flourish. However, she also reminds students to, “Stay focused and finish strong” as well as to, “Take the time to enjoy the people around you,” despite all the exciting things coming up. (Alyssa Wiboon)
(Above) Now that renovations and construction are complete, students have the opportunity to fully explore all the new areas of campus. This has allowed students such as Juli Mendez and Addison Smith, both grade 10, to find new spots to study and spend time together. This constuction has also given students a chance to find new lunch spots during cold and rainy days. Additionally, students have a closer location to grab food while studying or avoiding the rain, with the completion of the Scottish Cafe. (Sofia Cohen)
(Above) Mrs. Cindy Wray is a librarian here at Lake Highland’s Kind Family Library. Aside from hosting upcoming cultural events, she has also started a book club on campus, which includes the opportunity to have lunch with the author. Additionally, Mrs. Wray has helped arrange a trip for students to travel to Oxford University during Spring Break. However, she is most excited for book week as, “It’s a chance to celebrate reading, build community, and hear from and get inspired by great authors.” (Minaal Arain)