Elevated for a Brighter Future

Kailey Calvo

(Above) The second floor of the state-of-the-art building will be the Innovation Institute, which will feature a two-story makerspace surrounded by teaching labs for physics, engineering, robotics, computer science, augmented and virtual reality, and more. The third floor will be dedicated to math classrooms; the fourth floor will be home to English and language arts. The style of this new building will fit in seamlessly with the beautiful domed Rex Building and will be a welcomed addition to modernize the campus and provide a bold and modern future for all members of the greater Highlander community. All photos by Kailey Calvo.

Kailey Calvo, Co-Editor

Triathlon Intro

​​ The future of Lake Highland is a much debated and is often the topic of discussion, especially after LHP’s 50th anniversary in 2020. The Capital Projects, as they’re being referred to by the Advancement Office, are exciting new developments that are being overseen by Lake Highland’s Board of Trustees for the strategic planning of the projects. The Board’s Building Committee, however, provides leadership for the development and construction of the buildings. 

There are three projects planned for the Lake Highland campus as part of the Elevate Highlanders Campaign. The first of these state-of-the-art designs, the Porter Family Center for Innovation and Academics is currently being constructed eight feet behind Hale and Johnston Halls. According to LHP, this four-story building will include a new Student Center, a Mathematics Institute, English and Language Arts Institute, College and Career Center, and other hubs to replace the current administrative offices located in the Hale and Johnston Halls. 

Lake Highland was able to break ground on the Porter Family Center for Innovation and Academics on April 5, 2022. The construction is expected to take 14 months, with an anticipated opening date of August 2023. A Multisport Athletic Facility at the LHAC complete with a wrestling arena, an auxiliary gym for court sports, and an outdoor archery range, along with the Arts District where the Calkins Library is. The new Arts District will include new rehearsal spaces for orchestra, band, and chorus are also exciting updates on the horizon for the beautiful LHP campus. The timeline for the Multisport Athletic Facility and the Arts District will depend on fundraising. These buildings, and more ideas, are coming together to build a bold, innovative future for all students and staff. There has never been a better time to be a Highlander!

(Above) The second floor of the state-of-the-art building will be the Innovation Institute, which will feature a two-story makerspace surrounded by teaching labs for physics, engineering, robotics, computer science, augmented and virtual reality, and more. The third floor will be dedicated to math classrooms; the fourth floor will be home to English and language arts. The style of this new building will fit in seamlessly with the beautiful domed Rex Building and will be a welcomed addition to modernize the campus and provide a bold and modern future for all members of the greater Highlander community. All photos by Kailey Calvo. (Kailey Calvo)
(Above) The Porter Family Center for Innovation and Academics is a new, four-story building that will replace Johnston and Hale Halls. The Porter Family Center will provide over 71,000 square feet of exceptional and innovative spaces including the Tillman Family Student Center on the ground floor, which will feature the Vivar Student Union (a collegiate-style student union) and the Kind Family Library that will replace the Calkins Library. All of these new spaces were designed to be great places for students to gather, study, converse, and socialize. (Kailey Calvo)
(Left) The first of three capital projects planned to promote student success in the next 50 years as part of the Elevate Highlanders Campaign broke ground on April 5, 2022. The Porter Family Center for Innovation and Academics is a transformational facility designed by SchenkelShultz Architecture, and its construction is expected to take 14 months, with anticipated opening date of August 2023. These visionary projects will help
Lake Highland continue its legacy of excellence and leadership. (Kailey Calvo)
(Right) Mrs. Susan Clayton, Lake Highland’s Vice President of
Advancement, provided insight on how the Elevate Highlanders
Campaign will pave the way for the future of LHP and all Highlanders.
She explained, “Lake Highland’s future is extraordinary because we are ensuring our students have exceptional opportunities and inspiration as they learn to discover, innovate, create, lead, and change the world with integrity
and goodness.” (Kailey Calvo)