Twice-Told Tale

The Student News Site of Lake Highland Preparatory School

Twice-Told Tale

Twice-Told Tale

Festivities with the Arts

%28Above%29+The+festival+showcased+The+Hour+of+Darkness%2C+LHP%E2%80%99s+Jazz+Ensemble%2C+and+the+chorus.+Chorus+displays+unique+singing+personalities%2C+while+the+LHP+Band+displays+their+incredible+use+of+instruments.+The+amount+of+people+at+the+art+festival+illustrates+both+the+love+and+the+need+for+both+performing+arts+and+traditional+art+in+our+community.+
Zane Rimes
(Above) The festival showcased “The Hour of Darkness”, LHP’s Jazz Ensemble, and the chorus. Chorus displays unique singing personalities, while the LHP Band displays their incredible use of instruments. The amount of people at the art festival illustrates both the love and the need for both performing arts and traditional art in our community.

This October showcased the first of this year’s arts festivals here at Lake Highland. Every year Lake Highland holds this festival to commemorate the arts and show off what the students have created to display or sell, and stage performances by the Lake Highland Choir and the Jazz Band. Lights illuminated the concerts which took place in the Jackson Breezeway underneath the Porter Family Center for Innovation and Academics. Artists of all kinds were selling and showcasing their own art with booths right outside the Kind Library. Along with the booths, there were also make-and-take tables where students could make their art, including coloring pinch pots with Posca markers and designing wooden tablets. To go along with all of the art, there were also food trucks and stands offering boba tea, hot dogs, and Vietnamese food.

Co-president Cleo Richardson, grade 11, of the Art Club, explained why we should celebrate the traditional and performing arts. Richardson stated, “The fall arts festival is supposed to be for praising both artists and the performing arts all together to celebrate the arts as a whole.” Mrs. Kathy Forester, teacher of art, added, “There will be a very large arts festival and pop-up gallery all week long after Spring Break.”

The arts festival isn’t the only cool art-related topic either. Faith Graham, President of the Art Club, grade 12, explained what the club does and how it impacts everyone at Lake Highland. Graham said of her role as president that her, “Main responsibilities include connecting art students with volunteer opportunities pertaining to their skills as well as motivating them to share their work with the world as a method of advocating for themselves and their talents. I also do more housekeeping tasks, from making sure projects are done on time to teaching students how to scan their works for print in preparation for art shows.” The goals of the art club have been very inclusive, as the club aspires, according to Graham, “To empower art students to not only embrace their craft but also utilize it to benefit the community. Whether it be through the LHPS community or the outer Orlando circle, we want to show the importance of creatives and how they positively impact the people around them.” 

Believe it or not, LHP’s Art Club has a significant history.  According to Graham, “The arts district festival is fairly new, with only a couple of years under its belt in terms of how long it has been running.” However, “The Art Club is one of the longest-running clubs in Lake Highland history,” Grahams shared. Not only has the Art Club been supporting the arts festival, they also reach out to charity organizations outside of Lake Highland. For example, they have focused on supporting Up Against Poverty, a charity organization that donates food, lifts people up to be self-sufficient, and educates them. “Art Club has been annually partnering with Up Against Poverty for years—so it’s basically tradition at this point. After partnering with the organization for so long, the club’s paintings [which are] presented at their annual fundraising luncheon have become a core part of the experience for the patrons. So we plan on continuing to support them with yearly paintings to keep bringing color to their events,” added Graham. They have been raising money this year as well. In fact, “Last year, during their annual luncheon, Up Against Poverty raised approximately $137,000 for their cause,” said Graham. This money is, “Used for programs that help those in need achieve employment training opportunities so they can become financially independent. Throughout these programs, UAP provides essential goods and services to those going through training,” Graham explains. 

The Art Club and art festival are very important to the LHP’s community, as they show off the student body’s creativity. If you missed this event, remember that after Spring Break, there will be another art festival/pop-up gallery, with the possibility of additional future events, so be sure to support LHP’s art department.

(Above) Ibrahim Naseeruddin, grade 11, uses a Posca marker paint pen on a blank canvas. Ibrahim stated, “We enjoyed our time painting canvases and pots to put little plants in.” The make-and-take station was both very creative and fun. (Zane Rimes)
(Above) The make-and-take table showcases the incredible art projects students have been working on. The art pieces included using markers on wooden hearts and blank canvases. There were also pinch pots that people could decorate along with succulents that people could plant inside the painted pots. (Zane Rimes)
(Above) During the art festival, many of booths were formed all along and around the Porter Center for Innovation and Academics Center. Many of the students at Lake Highland have taken both the initiative and the time to promote their own small vendors around the festival, like this booth specifically featuring Chloe Watts, grade 10, photography booth. Minaal Arain, grade 12, commented, “There was a spectacular turnout this year, more than the first year.” (Zane Rimes)