Can by Can Conquers Hunger

Photo courtesy of Mr. Brent Pirie.

(Above) Second Harvest Food Bank supports over 100 partner charities. For every dollar donated, they provide five meals for families and people with food insecurity throughout Orlando. Their mission is to, “Grow hope in our region by creating pathways to nutritious food.” They also want to achieve their vision of, “A brighter future for all by cultivating a healthy, hunger-free community.” Not only does Second Harvest Food Bank allow people to help their community, but it also has its own community be- tween the volunteers. You can volunteer at Second Harvest Food Bank, located at 411 Mercy Drive, Or- lando, Florida. Whether you are a returning volunteer or are volunteering there for the first time, Second Harvest welcomes everyone excited to help the com- munity. Photo courtesy of Mr. Brent Pirie.

Taylor Hannigan, Staff

Lake Highland Preparatory School offers so many great clubs that allow people to take part in their community, and one of those clubs is the LHP Feeds Orlando Club. This club was created by Melissa Demello and Celina Walker, both Grade 10 at Lake Highland Preparatory School. 

LHP Feeds Orlando Club focuses on bringing awareness to food insecurity of people and families in Orlando. The club shines light on an issue that not only affects Orlando, but the entire world and encourages others to want to make a change to that problem. The club offers a way to make that change by allowing people to volunteer at Second Harvest Food Bank

Second Harvest Food Bank is the club’s most popular place for volunteers because of the hands-on involvement and rewarding feeling after feeding people in need all over Orlando. While this place is loved by the club owners and its volunteers, the LHP Feeds Orlando Club has more exciting and upcoming opportunities to feed the community. Melissa says, “We want to have bake sales on campus, as well as have a food drive.” She also is planning, “On establishing a food pantry at school for the month of March and will be taking a trip to Second Harvest Food Bank to give donations accumulated by the Lake Highland community.” The club also hopes to reach out to other clubs and combine interests to create more service opportunities. 

Another great thing about the LHP Feeds Orlando Club is any student of Lake Highland is allowed to join because the club not only focuses on feeding Orlando, but also bringing the community of LHP students closer together. They encourage everyone who is able to join the club because it does not require a certain skill set or prior knowledge in order to create a big impact on others. Melissa and Celina want the members to leave, “Feeling like they made a difference in our community, while also enjoying giving back.”

Celina’s favorite part about the club is, “The hands-on volunteering at food banks because it’s really important to engage with the community, and it is fulfilling to know that your actions directly affect children and families in Central Florida.” Knowing you are making a direct impact on hungry people in your community is inspiring and should encourage others to join the cause as well. Melissa’s favorite part of the club is, “Definitely the environment that the students in the club form every time LHP Feeds Orlando has a meeting. Our meetings are always filled with happy vibes, and honestly it is a great way to start a week off.” LHP Feeds Orlando does not just focus on helping the community, but also making one that likes to give back. 

According to Melissa and Celina, “Food Insecurity affects more than 34 million Americans, with two million of those Americans living in Florida,” and that is why they were inspired to create their club. They hope their club will not just promote volunteers across Florida to help with hunger and food insecurity, but also encourage others to help their state all over the country.

(Above) LHP Feeds Orlando has a lot more community service opportunities coming up in partnership with Second Harvest Food Bank, as they work their way to changing hunger in Florida, then later across the country, then one day the world. There is always room for more at Second Harvest Food Bank, and that is why both Second Harvest Food Bank and the LHP Feeds Orlando Club hope that more people volunteer so additional meals can be packed, and more families can be fed. Photo by Taylor Hannigan. (Photo by Taylor Hannigan.)
(Above) Second Harvest Food Bank’s mission is also, “To create hope and nourish lives through a powerful hunger relief network, while multiplying the generosity of a caring community.” It is a great place for people to come and put their time into helping others and is one of the most efficient
food banks in central Florida. Second Harvest Food Bank is a great way to not only help others, but also meet others who like to give back as well.
Photo by Taylor Hannigan. (Photo by Taylor Hannigan. )
(Above) Volunteers were being instructed on how to pack boxes and sort pre-packaged goods. Cate Steinhaus, Riley Basin, Addison Martin, and I (all grade 10) are all members of the LHP Feeds Orlando Club, with the presidents of the club, Celina Walker and Melissa De Mello (grade 10). We all helped unwrap items and sort them into piles for other volunteers to put into boxes and seal them. Photo courtesy of Mr. Brent Pirie. (Mr. Brent Pirie.)
(Above) Second Harvest Food Bank supports over 100 partner charities. For every dollar donated, they provide five meals for families and people with
food insecurity throughout Orlando. Their mission is to, “Grow hope in our region by creating pathways to nutritious food.” They also want to achieve their vision of, “A brighter future for all by cultivating a healthy, hunger-free community.” Not only does Second Harvest Food Bank allow people to help their community, but it also has its own community between the volunteers. You can volunteer at Second Harvest Food Bank, located at 411 Mercy Drive, Orlando, Florida. Whether you are a returning volunteer or are volunteering there for the first time, Second Harvest welcomes everyone excited to help the community. Photo courtesy of Mr. Brent Pirie. (Photo courtesy of Mr. Brent Pirie.)